The recipe is slightly adapted from Joy of Baking, one of my favorite websites for cakes, desserts etc.
GINGERBREAD CAKE LOAF
2 cups of four
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (nothing beats freshly ground cinnamon quills but you can also use pre-ground cinnamon)
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/2 cup of 115 grams of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of light brown soft sugar
2 large eggs room temperature
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup of golden syrup (put vegetable oil in cup to prevent sticking)
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Line 13cm x 31 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Sift the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves together and mix. Sifting will help with the raising and will also help prevent lumps in the cake mix.
3. Use mixer to beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each one. Add orange zest, golden syrup and combine.
4. Add dry ingredients & milk, alternating between wet and dry ingredients, ending with dry ingredients. Beat until just combined (don't overwork it).
5. Pour batter into loaf tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 mins. Try to resist opening the oven until the last 10-15 mins to check. Insert a clean toothpick to check if it is done. If it comes out sticky, wait another 5 mins. If it is clean, it is ready. Cool completely before taking out of the tin. You can keep the loaf in the fridge for a few days or clingfilm and freeze in for 1-2 weeks.
6. Before serving slice the loaf into 1 inch slices. Butter a griddle pan on medium heat, then add the slices, making nice griddle marks on both sides. Serve the warm chargrilled gingerbread with a big dollop of Riesling Chicken Liver Pate and some caramelized red onions.
Enjoy with a lovely chilled glass of Riesling!